The edges to the wreath were squared off and I wanted them a little rounder, so I took a serrated knife to the outside and inside circles.
I spray painted the foam maroon. Rustoleum has created a spray handle that you can attach to spray cans that has saved my right pointy finger from great suffering. After I spray painted a bunch of frames a couple of months ago I couldn't feel my finger tip for a couple weeks, and then it tingled for another couple weeks. It just recently has returned to normal. So thank you, Rustoleum!
I just happened to have some spray paint left over from this Halloween Project. I like to call it, "Bacon":
I cut out a leaf shape on cardstock and then traced it onto the felt squares. I was able to save time and effort by cutting through three sheets of felt at a time. I bought 7 gradiating colors from maroon to cream, 2 sheets each. It made more than enough leaves, I only used about 2/3 of what I cut out.
I measured the circumference of the wreath (56"), divided that by 7 (which is 8 for those of you that have forgotten your multiplication tables) and marked the wreath on the outside every 8 inches. Then I lined and stacked all of the felt leaves 3 at a time on top of eachother--one in the center, and two pointing out right and left, making a larger looking leaf. Then I adjusted the spacing of the leaves until it was even.
I attached them all with hot glue, and it was done! It only took me a couple hours from start to finish, and I think it was worth it. I love the way it looks against my black front door.